In Great Books of the Western World
- Republic, Books III-V, X;
- Laws, Books II, VII, IX, XI
- Ethics, Book V;
- Politics, Books I-II, VII-VIII;
- Rhetoric, Book II, Ch. 13
- The City of God, Book XII, Chs. 13, 17, 20
- Leviathan, Part II, Chs. 20, 27-28
- Montaigne: Essays,
- "Of Age,"
- "Of the Affection of Fathers to Their Children,"
- 'Of Cruelty"
- Concerning Civil Government, Second Essay
- The Spirit of Laws, Books VI, VII, XVI, XIX, XXIII
- A Discourse on the Origin of Inequality;
- The Social Contract, Book I, Book II, Ch. 5, Book IV, Ch. 7
- The Science of Right,
"The Rights of the Family as a Domestic Society,"
"The Right of Punishing and Pardoning'
- American State Papers:
- The Declaration of Independence
- On Liberty,
Ch. 3, "Of Individuality, as One of the Elements of Well-Being";
Ch. 5, "On the Connection Between Justice and Utility"
- The Philosophy of Right,
Part I, Section IIIc, "Coercion and Crime,"
Part III, Section I, "The Family";
- The Philosophy of History, Introduction
- The Origin of Species, Ch. III, "The Struggle for Existence"
Ch. X, "The Working Day,"
Ch. XIV, Section 3,
Ch. XV, Sections 8-9
- Marx and Engels:
- The Communist Manifesto
- "The Sexual Enlightenment of Children";
- "On Narcissism";
- General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, Lectures 8, 13, 20, 21;
- Group Psychology and the Analysis of the Ego,
Sections VII, X, XII;
- New Introductory Lectures on Psycho-Analysis, Lectures 33-34
In Other Works
- Aquinas, Thomas:
- Summa Contra Gentiles, Book III, Chs. 122-126, 139-145;
- Summa Theologica,
Part II-II, QQ. 151-154,
Part III, Suppl., QQ. 41-68
- Bacon, Francis: Essays,
- "Of Parents and Children,"
- "Of Marriage and Single Life,"
- "Of Youth and Age"
- Beccaria, Cesare B.:
- Crimes and Punishments
- Bentham, Jeremy:
- The Rationale of Punishment
- Buber, Martin:
- Between Man and Man, II. "The Question to the Single One"
- Bury, John B.:
- The Idea of Progress
- Chesterfield, Fourth Earl of:
- Letters to His Son
- Darwin, Charles:
- Problems of World Population
- Engels, Friedrich:
- The Origin of the Family, Private Property, and the State
- Ewing, Alfred C.:
- The Morality of Punishment
- Freud, Sigmund:
- Three Contributions to the Theory of Sex
- Gardiner, Harold C.:
- The Catholic Viewpoint on Censorship
- Gerontological Congress:
- Old Age in the Modern World
- Hauser, Philip M., and Duncan, Otis D.:
- Study of Population
- Kallen, Horac M.:
- Indecency and the Seven Arts
- Kierkegaard, Soren:
- The Present Age;
- The Point of View;
- The Attack upon "Christendom"
- Lawrence, David H.:
- Pornography and Obscenity
- Lowith, Karl:
- Meaning in History, IV. "Progress Versus Providence"
- Malthus, Thomas R.:
- An Essay on Population
- Meek, Ronald L., ed.:
- Marx and Engels on Malthus
- Milton, John:
- The Doctrine and Discipline of Divorce
- Nietzsche, Friedrich:
- Thus Spake Zarathustra
- Playfair, Giles, and Singleton, Derrick:
- Offenders: The Case Against Legal Vengeance
- Richardson, Bessie E.:
- Old Age Among the Ancient Greeks
- Simmons, L. W.:
- The Role of the Aged in Primitive Society
- Tawney, Richard H.:
- Zilboorg, Gregory:
- Psychology of the Criminal Act and Punishment